Dark Chocolate – 150 gms
Butter – 150 gms
Pure vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Warm water – 150 ml
Icing sugar – 110 gms
Eggs – 4 (separated)
Rice flour – 25 gms, sifted
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Icing sugar for dusting – 1 tsp
Small baking dishes well greased with butter (optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
2. Cut the chocolate into small pieces and melt with the butter in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
3. As soon as the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
4. Then stir in the warm water and sugar. Continue to mix until smooth.
5. Lightly beat the egg yolks and whisk them into the chocolate mixture.
6. Fold in the sifted rice flour and the baking powder, making sure there are no lumps.
7. Whisk the egg whites in a large clean bowl until stiff peaks form.
8. Fold gently into the chocolate mixture and pour into a large greased pie dish or the individual dishes.
9. Put the pie dish into a double boiler and bake for 10 minutes.
10. Then reduce the temperature to 250F for a further 20 to 30 minutes.
11. If you are making individual dishes, they will be cooked in about 15 minutes at 350F.
12. The pudding should be firm on top but still soft and fudgy underneath.
13. Dust with icing sugar and serve hot, warm or cold with softly whipped cream.