Milk – 2 1/4 litres
Saffron Strands – 1/2 tsp, soaked in 1 cup warm milk
Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
Green Cardamoms – 8, powdered
Almonds – 2 tblsp, blanched, peeled and ground to a paste
Maida – 1 cup
Rava (Semolina) – 1 tblsp
Salt – a pinch
Ghee – 2 to 3 tsp
Cashewnuts – 2 tblsp, coarsely broken and fried in 2 tblsp ghee
Oil for deep frying
1. Place milk in a heavy pan and simmer over moderate heat till it is reduced to 1 1/2 litres.
2. Add saffron strands with the soaking milk, sugar, cardamom powder and almond paste.
3. Simmer till sugar dissolves.
4. Keep milk hot over low heat.
5. Combine maida, semolina and salt.
6. Add ghee.
7. Gradually add 1/3 cup of water and knead to a smooth dough.
8. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
9. Divide the dough into marble-sized balls and roll into small three inch round discs.
10. Make a tiny slit in the centre to prevent the poli’s from puffing up.
11. Fry one poli at a time in hot oil.
12. Drop each poli into hot milk and leave for 60 seconds.
13. Remove and keep in a serving plate.
14. Pour the remaining milk over poli.
15. Garnish with cashewnuts.
16. Serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !