Coconut – 1/2 cup, desiccated
Garlic – 2 cloves
Root Ginger – 2 inch piece, fresh, grated
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1 small
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp, ground
Red Chillies – 2, dried
Coriander Seeds – 1 tblsp
Poppy Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Vegetable Oil – 1 tblsp
Onion – 1 medium, sliced
Green Pepper – 1 small, seeded and cut into strips
Crab Claws – 16
Coriander Sprigs – fresh, to garnish
Natural Low-Fat Yogurt – 2/3 cup, to serve
1. Put the coconut in a food processor and add the garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, turmeric, red chillies, coriander and poppy seeds. Process until well blended.
2. Heat the oil in a kadai. Add the onion slices and fry over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until softened but not coloured.
3. Stir in the green pepper strips and toss over the heat for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the pan and place them in a bowl.
4. Place the pan over a high heat. When it is hot, add the crab claws and stir fry for 2 minutes. Return the vegetables to the pan with the coconut mixture. Toss over the heat until the mixture is fragrant and the crab claws and vegetables are coated in the spices. Serve on individual plates, garnished with the coriander.
5. Serve the yogurt separately in a cup/bowl.