Mozzarella Sticks are a classic appetizer to any meal. Often served as a party snack, they make a great after-school snack for the kids or an evening teatime snack. This is the eggless variation of mozzarella sticks.
Mozzarella Cheese – 350 gms
Maida (Plain Flour) – 1/2 cup
Besan Flour (Chickpea Flour) – 1/2 cup
Breadcrumbs – 1/2 cup
Oil for frying
1. Cut the cheese into 1/2-1 inch sticks and keep aside.
2. Mix the maida and besan flour in a bowl.
3. Add enough water and mix to a thick batter.
4. Spread the breadcrumbs on a plate.
5. Dip the cheese sticks in the batter and roll them in the breadcrumbs.
6. Place them on a parchment paper and keep it in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
7. This is to ensure the cheese does not melt while frying and it has a crispy coating.
8. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
9. Fry the mozzarella sticks until light golden brown.
10. Remove and drain excess oil.
11. Serve with a dipping sauce of choice.
If the cheese starts to ooze out, then remove them at once and place them on paper towels to drain.
Instead of Besan flour, you can also use 1 beaten egg.
Have a question? Can you par fry these then freeze or straight to freeze?