Spinach and Potato Cutlet combines vibrant spinach leaves and flavorful potatoes, expertly seasoned and formed into crispy, golden-brown cutlets. These delicious cutlets are packed with nutrients and burst with delicious flavours that will tantalize your taste buds. Whether you’re looking for a quick and satisfying snack or a crowd-pleasing appetizer, Spinach and Potato Cutlet impress.
Marrying spinach and potatoes creates a perfect harmony of textures and tastes. The spinach adds a refreshing and vibrant element to the cutlets, while the potatoes lend a comforting and creamy base. Combining spices and herbs elevates the flavour profile, resulting in a delectable treat that will leave you craving more.
These versatile cutlets can be enjoyed independently or served with various accompaniments. Pair them with zesty mint chutney for freshness or tangy tamarind chutney for a hint of sweetness. They also make a great addition to sandwiches or wraps, adding a nutritious twist to your lunchtime favourites. Whether you’re hosting a party, preparing a family meal, or simply treating yourself, Spinach and Potato Cutlet is a must-try recipe that will satisfy both your cravings and your desire for a healthy snack.
Spinach and Potato Cutlet
- 4 Potatoes
- 200 g Spinach Leaves chopped
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 100 g Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- handful Coriander Leaves chopped
- as per taste Salt
- as required Oil for frying
- Boil, peel and mash the potatoes.
- Finely chop the spinach and add to the potatoes.
- Add the onions, coriander leaves, pepper powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add 1 tsp of breadcrumbs and mix again.
- Make small-medium balls and shape them into cutlets of desired shapes. Keep aside.
- Add a little water to the wheat flour and mix to make a fine paste.
- Gently roll the cutlets in the paste and dredge them in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Fry the prepared cutlets until golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or mint chutney.
Frequently Asked Questions about Spinach and Potato Cutlet
Can I use frozen spinach for making Spinach and Potato Cutlets?
You can use frozen spinach to make Spinach and Potato Cutlet. However, it is important to thaw the spinach entirely and squeeze out any excess moisture before incorporating it into the cutlet mixture. Frozen spinach works well in this recipe and can be a convenient option when fresh spinach is not readily available. Just make sure to thaw and drain the spinach properly to achieve the desired texture and prevent the cutlets from becoming too wet.
Can I make Spinach and Potato Cutlet in advance?
Absolutely! Spinach and Potato cutlets can be prepared and stored for later use. After shaping the cutlets, refrigerate them for a few hours or overnight before frying. This allows the flavours to develop and makes the cutlets even more delicious. You can also freeze the shaped cutlets in an airtight container for extended storage. Just make sure to thaw them completely before frying. This makes Spinach and Potato Cutlets an excellent option for meal-prepping or entertaining guests.
Can I bake Spinach and Potato Cutlet instead of frying?
While Spinach and Potato cutlets are traditionally fried to achieve a crispy exterior, you can also bake them for a healthier alternative. To bake the cutlets:
- Preheat your oven to a moderate temperature and place the shaped cutlets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly brush or spray them with oil for added crispness.
- Bake the cutlets until golden and crispy, flipping them halfway through for even browning.
Baking time may vary depending on your oven, so keep an eye on them. Baked Spinach and Potato Cutlet is a healthier option with a delightful taste and texture.
Can I substitute potatoes with sweet potatoes in Spinach and Potato Cutlet?
You can substitute potatoes with sweet potatoes in Spinach and Potato Cutlets. The sweet potatoes will add a slightly different flavour profile and a touch of sweetness to the cutlets. The method remains the same – cook and mash the sweet potatoes and combine them with the spinach and other ingredients. The resulting cutlets will have a unique twist and a vibrant colour. If you enjoy the combination of sweet and savoury flavours, this variation of Spinach and Potato Cutlet is worth trying.
Can I serve Spinach and Potato Cutlet with any dipping sauce?
Absolutely! Spinach and Potato Cutlet pairs well with a variety of dipping sauces. You can serve them with classic options like ketchup or mint chutney, which add a tangy and refreshing element. Tamarind chutney or sweet chilli sauce can also complement the flavours of the cutlets with their sweet and spicy notes. If you prefer a creamy dip, try serving them with yoghurt-based sauces like cucumber raita or garlic aioli. Experiment with different spices and condiments to find your favourite combination. Spinach and Potato Cutlet is versatile and can be enjoyed with a wide range of dips, adding excitement to each bite.