A popular Mumbai street food, this delicious pulao is made with basmati rice and vegetables. Best served for dinner with raita of choice.
Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Oil – 1/3 cup
Cumin Seeds – 1 tblsp
Asafoetida – a small pinch
Mixed Vegetables – 2 cups, chopped
Onions – 3 to 4, finely sliced
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Green Chillies – 4 to 5, slit lengthways
Tomatoes – 4, chopped
Capsicum – 1, chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 3 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 3 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1 tblsp
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
1. Soak the rice for 45 to 60 minutes.
2. Transfer to a pressure cooker, pour 2 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt.
3. Pressure cook until 2 to 3 whistles or until cooked.
4. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
5. Add the onions, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
6. Saute well until onions turn light golden.
7. Add the ginger garlic paste, tomatoes, green chillies and salt.
8. Stir well and cook for a minute.
9. Add the mixed vegetables and cook for another minute.
10. Add the capsicums and cook for another minute.
11. Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander leaves and stir well.
12. When the oil starts to separate, add lemon juice.
13. Add the cooked rice and mix well.
14. Switch off the flame and mix until well combined.
15. Serve with raita.