Boneless lamb meat – 500 gms, cut into 2 inch size pieces
Lamb shank bones – 500 gms, cut into 2 inch size pieces
Water – 8 cups
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Beaten curd – 2 cups
Saffron – 1/4 tsp
For spice potli
Fine cloth – 1
Ginger – 2 inch piece, chopped
Saunf – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon stick – 2 inch piece, broken into half
Cloves – 8
Black cardamom – 6, cracked open
Black peppercorn – 10
Bay leaf – 2
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
1. Fold cloth twice. Put all the spice in the center. Collect the edges and tie it with a string. Spice potli is ready.
2. Combine lamb meat, lamb bones, water, sugar, salt and spice potli in a large deep pot.
3. Bring it to a boil, turn heat to low and cook lamb on medium heat till the water is reduced to half. If the meat is not tender at this stage, add more water and keep cooking till done.
4. Remove meat and bones and set aside.
5. Dissolve the spice potli.
6. Add beaten curds.
7. Crumble saffron and sprinkle over the mixture.
8. Add the lamb and bones that have been set aside.
9. When water starts boiling, lower heat and simmer for 5 more minutes.