Onion Rings are a popular fast food snack item. These easy to make homemade onion rings are ideal for any occasion and makes for a tasty afterschool snack for children.
Onions – 5 to 6, medium or large, peeled sliced into thin rounds, separated into individual rings
Maida – 1 cup
Rice Flour – 2 tblsp
Corn Flour – 1/2 cup
Gram Flour (Kadalai Maavu / Besan) – 1/2 cup
Green Chillies – 2
Ginger – 2 tsp, peeled
Garlic – 2 cloves
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Sprinkle salt on the onions and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Add them to a bowl of ice water and keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Combine green chillies, garlic and ginger. Grind them to a smooth paste.
4. Mix the maida, rice flour, corn flour and gram flour.
5. Add enough water and salt to make a thick batter. Ensure the batter is not too thick.
6. Keep the batter aside.
7. Drain excess water from the onion rings and pat dry.
8. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
9. Dip the onion rings in the batter and fry till light brown.
10. Remove and drain excess oil.
11. Serve hot with ketchup or mint chutney.
awesome recipe and very tasty too for the snacks