Chicken momos are a popular dish in Nepal, India, and Tibet. They are steamed dumplings made of flour dough and filled with a meat mixture.
The momos are a popular dish in Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet and India. They are usually steamed dumplings filled with ground meat, cabbage or onions. The Nepali version of the momo is a popular street food and is also found in restaurants.
The moms are either steamed or fried to produce the final dish.
Chicken Momos Recipe
Ingredients for Chicken Momos
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup Plain Flour
- a pinch Salt
- as required Water
Ingredients for Momo Filling:
- 250 g Minced Chicken
- 2 to 3 Spring Onions finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Green Chilli minced
- 1 inch Ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Oil
- handful Coriander Leaves
How to make Chicken Momos
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Gradually add some water and mix to make the dough.
- Knead well until it is soft and pliable.
- Keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the onions and garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the green chillies and ginger.
- Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the minced chicken, turmeric powder, soy sauce, red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well.
- Add 1 to 2 tbsp of oil and mix again (optional). This helps to keep the dough moist.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and remove from flame.
- Divide the dough into 10 to 15 equal pieces and roll it out into a think circle.
- Add 1 to 2 tbsp of the momo filling into the center of each wrapper.
- Pleat the edges of the wrapper and seal the edges.
- Steam cook the prepared momos for about 10 to 15 minutes, until the outside is not sticky
- Remove and serve hot with chilli sauce and soy sauce.