This is a popular dish made during summer when mangoes are available in plenty especially in Andhra Pradesh. Best served with rice and side dish of choice.
Toor Dal (or Moong Dal) – 200 gms
Green Mangoes – 2, medium
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tblsp
Asafoetida Powder – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – little
Urad Dal – little
Ginger – 1/4 tsp, chopped or grated
Green Chillies – 1/2 to 1 tsp, chopped or 1 slit lengthwise
Oil as required
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
Grind together (Optional):
Coconut – 2 to 3 tblsp, grated
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp, chopped
1. Peel and chop the mangoes into small pieces.
2. Pressure cook the mangoes until 1 or 2 whistles.
3. Separately pressure cook the dal until 1 or 2 whistles.
4. Heat little oil in a pan over medium flame.
5. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, ginger, green chillies and fry for 30 seconds.
6. Add the cooked mangoes, dal, salt, red chilli powder and asafoetida powder.
7. Add enough water and stir to mix well.
8. Simmer for a few minutes and bring to a gentle boil.
9. Serve hot with rice.
Note: If you are using the ground paste, then add it at step #5.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !