Toor Dal – 1/2 cup
Okra – 450 gms
Oil – 1 tblsp
Onion Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onions – 2, sliced
Fenugreek – 1/2 tsp, ground
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp, ground
Coriander – 1 tsp, ground
Chilli Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
Garlic – 1 tsp, crushed
Green Mango – 1, peeled and sliced
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies – 2, seeded and sliced
Fresh Coriander – 2 tblsp, chopped
Tomato – 1, sliced
1. Wash the toor dal thoroughly to remove any grit and place in a large pan with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 30-45 minutes until soft but not mushy.
2. Trim the okra and cut the pods into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Heat the oil in a kadai and fry the onion seeds until they begin to pop. Add the onions and fry until golden brown. Lower the heat and stir in the ground fenugreek, turmeric and coriander and the chilli powder, ginger and garlic.
4. Add the mango slices and the okra pieces. Stir well and then add the salt, red chillies and fresh coriander. Stir fry together for 3-4 minutes or until the okra is well cooked and tender.
5. Finally add the cooked dal and sliced tomato and cook for a further 3 minutes.
6. Serve hot.