Deepavali Legiyam (or Deepavali Marundhu) is a very popular and traditional part of Diwali festival consumed to prevent indigestion. Made with various ingredients this healthy paste is normally taken on an empty stomach right after the oil bath. This can also be taken throughout the year to aid in digestion.
Typically consumed before eating the diwali sweets and snacks, it helps to aid digestion and is also good for common ailments like cold and cough
Just have a spoonful and it can help you stay healthy.
- 50 g Sukku (Dry Ginger)
- 100 g Omam (Ajwain)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Kandathippili (Dried root of long pepper plant)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Arisi Thippli (Dried long pepper)
- 2 Sitharathai (Thai Ginger) sticks
- 2 inch Ginger grated
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 1/2 cup Jaggery powdered
- 4 to 5 tbsp Ghee
- 3 to 4 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Gingelly Oil
- 1/2 cup Water
- Dry roast all the ingredients for a minute.
- Combine them in a mixer and grind to a fine powder.
- Heat 1/2 cup of water in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the jaggery and stir well until fully dissolved.
- Filter this to remove any impurities.
- Place the jaggery syrup on the flame.
- Add the ground powder and mix well.
- Add honey, gingelly oil and ghee.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until it has reached a halwa consistency and it starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Remove from flame.
- Allow it to cool before storing in a clean, sterilized container.