Banana Flower – 1
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1/2 to 1 tsp
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Oil – 2 tblsp
Asafoetida – a large pinch
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Curds – 1/4 cup
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp, chopped
Garam Masala – a pinch
1. Remove 2-3 layers of the banana flower, break the flowers from the stem and remove the hard pistil.
2. Chop the flowers, sprinkle butter milk and set aside.
3. Cook with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and just enough water.
4. Soak dal in a little water.
5. Heat oil, add asafoetida and curry leaves.
6. Add ground paste, stir fry for 2-3 minutes, adding turmeric and chilli powders.
7. Strain water from dal, add to ground paste, stir for a while, cover and cook on low heat till done.
8. Add cooked banana flower, beat curds smooth, add to this.
9. Mix thoroughly, cover and cook till well blended.
10. Garnish with the coriander leaves and sprinkle some garam masala on top.
11. Serve hot with rotis.