250 gms Potol, Parwal
1 inch piece of Ginger
1 tbsp Coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 whole Red Chilli
1/2 tbsp Sugar
1 Bay leaf
1 tsp Garam masala powder
Salt to taste
3 tbsp Oil
1. Cut the potol into half. Peel and dice the potatoes.
2. Heat a little oil in a kadai and lightly fry the potol and potoates separately. Keep aside.
3. Grind the ginger into a smooth paste and blend with a teaspoon of water. To this paste, add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Blend to form a thin paste of water.
4. Heat oil, add cumin seeds and whole red chilli (broken into pieces). When they begin to crackle, add the masala paste along with the tomatoes. Fry till the tomatoes blend with the masala.
5. Add the fried vegetables, sugar and salt. Pour about 3 cups of water and simmer on low heat till the vegetables are done. They gravy should be thick.
6. Sprinkle garam masala and remove from fire.
7. Serve hot with rice or chapathis.