Karanji or Karjikkai | Karjikaylu | Gujiya is a sweet dish made from maida and sooji and is stuffed with coconut or dry fruits. Similar to the modak, the combinations of the stuffing is in-numerous and left to one’s imagination. However, it typically tends to sway to the sweeter side.
A delightful treat originating from Maharashtra, it is a popular dish for Ganesh Chaturthi and Diwali. The outside shell is like a flaky pastry and is deep fried in oil. As one bites into the crunchy shell, it gives way to the sweet filling inside mostly made with coconut and suji or mawa.
A popular Diwali sweet/dessert, Karanji is made with maida with a sweet filling inside and deep fried until golden brown.
Try out some of the other popular dishes for Ganesh Chaturthi like Modak, Besan Laddoo, Vazhaipoo Vada (Banana Flower vada).
Ingredients for Karanji
- 2 Cups Maida
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Salt as per taste
- Warm Milk as required
- Oil as required for frying
For the filling:
- 2 Cups Coconut grated
- 2 Cups Sugar powdered
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ginger Powder
- 6-8 Cardamoms
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Maida
- 1 tbsp Khus Khus
- 1/4 Cup Mixed Dry Fruits chopped
How to make Karanji
- Combine the maida, ghee and salt in a large bowl.
- Add enough milk and mix well to a thick dough.
- Cover & keep aside.
- Dry roast the coconut and remove.
- Heat little ghee in a pan.
- Fry the maida and poppy seeds for a minute.
- Remove and mix all the filling ingredients.
- Grind them together and keep aside.
- Make small balls of the dough.
- Roll them into small puris.
- Place some of the filling inside and fold to form a half-moon shape.
- Using some water or milk, seal the edges.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Fry the prepared karanjis until light golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Store in an airtight container.
Thanks for the nice receipe.
Nice recipe. CKP Karanji is called Khajache Kanavle.
NICE RECIPE. I WAS PARTICULARLY LOOKING OUT FOR CKP KARANJI AS I AM A CKP BY BIRTH.
good , but i would like to make an addition , instead of maida in the stuffing , try adding mawa(khoya). tastes awesome