Vepampoo (neem flower) has lots of medicinal properties and is used in traditional treatments to prevent digestive disorders, skin problems and others. Though the flower is bitter, making it to a podi like this and consuming with rice allows us to get the health benefits of it.
- Dried Vepampoo (Dried Neem Flower) – 1 cup
- Red Chillies – 15
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Dry Ginger (Sukku) – 1 piece
- Mango (Amchur) Powder – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida – A pinch
- Salt to Taste
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp
- Heat a kadai over medium flame.
- Add the ghee and let it melt.
- Fry the mustard seeds, dry ginger, pepper, red chillies and keep them aside.
- To the same pan, add the vepampoo and fry them until the colour changes.
- Allow it to cool.
- Combine all the fried ingredients together in a blender and make powder.
- Store it in an air tight container.
- This podi will stay good for 3 months.
- This can be served with rice or add 1 tsp to the buttermilk and consume it.
- This helps to clean the stomach from germs.
- To reduce the bitter taste of the vepampoo, mango powder should be added.
- We can also add little tamarind to the above ingredients.