Besan Chilla (or Besan Cheela) is a simple pancake made with besan flour (chick pea flour). It is a healthy breakfast dish popular across India and requires minimal ingredients.
Light and filling, the chilla (or cheela) is a traditional breakfast dish in Gujarat, Rajasthan and surrounding regions. These are often called Eggless Indian omelettes.
Served with mint chutney or ketchup, they are ideal for breakfast or as an evening snack during tea time.
Besan Chilla (Chick Pea Pancakes)
- 100 g Besan Flour (Chick Pea Flour)
- handful Coriander Leaves
- 1 Onion small, chopped
- 1 Tomato small, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 tsp Ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- as required Oil
- as per taste Salt
- Mix all the ingredients except oil in a bowl.
- Add enough water and mix well.
- Ensure there are no lumps and the batter is pourable.
- Heat a non-stick tawa over medium flame.
- Pour one ladle of the batter and spread the mixture gently.
- Apply oil around the edges and cook on both sides until golden spots start to appear.
- Remove and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve warm with chutney of choice or ketchup.