This basic Eggless Sponge Cake is best suited for vegetarians and those who do not prefer eggs. This can be consumed as it is or can also be used as a base for other delicious cake recipes.
Condensed Milk – 1 tin (available in supermarkets)
Butter – 125 ml, melted
Maida (Plain Flour) – 300 gms
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Cooking Soda – 1 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 2 tsp
Water – 150 ml
1. Combine and sieve together the maida, baking powder and cooking soda 3 times.
2. Add butter, condensed milk and vanilla essence.
3. Mix well.
4. Gradually add water and knead well for 10 minutes.
5. Grease a cake tin with butter and sprinkle some flour.
6. Transfer the dough to the greased tin until 3/4th.
7. Place it in a preheated oven at 200C and bake for 15 minutes.
8. Reduce the temperature to 150C and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Remove and allow it cool 30 to 60 seconds.
10. Then remove the cake from the tin and keep it on a rack for 2 minutes.
11. Once cooled, cut into slices and serve or store in a clean, sterilized container.
Tip: Do not keep the cake under a fan to cool.