Are you a vegetarian, have an egg allergy or simply don’t like eggs? Don’t let these simple excuses stop you from enjoying some fundamental pleasures of life. A basic Eggless Chocolate Cake will fall under this category.
Just like any other new invention, the eggless cake was born out of sheer necessity when foods were rationed and an alternative ways to bake cakes were needed. In a country like ours, this is an invaluable recipe considering that 1/3rd of our population is vegetarian where eggs are a complete no-no, unlike certain western concepts where eggs are still included as part of a vegetarian dish.
Simple cake recipes like this is enough to make one fall in love with baking. The sweet aroma of vanilla and butter while baking and the spongy, moist, rich texture when you sink your teeth into a slice is just the perfect scenario to transport one to dessert heaven.
Baking is considered a precise art, where extreme care is taken in choosing and measuring ingredients. With our basic Eggless Chocolate Cake recipe, there is no room for error. Just follow it blind and voila, a delectable dessert is ready in less than an hour.
Use this as a base for any other cake or serve as it is. Very simple and easy to make, it is great for any occasion or simply because you want a cake.
Basic Eggless Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/2 cups Maida (Plain Flour)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Milk - 1 cup boiled and cooled
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 8 tbsp Oil or Butter
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda in a bowl. Sieve this mixture to remove lumps.
- Mix the vinegar, oil, milk and vanilla essence in an another bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and mix well.
- Grease a cake tin and sprinkle some flour.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tin and spread the top evenly.
- Place this into a preheated oven at 180C for 22 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove and cool.
- Garnish as desired.