A delicious and tasty tea time snack, this vada made with Sabudana is popular during Ganesh Chaturthi too.
Sabudana (Sago/Javvarisi) – 1 cup
Potatoes – 4
Green Chillies – 3 to 4, chopped
Ginger – 2 tsp, finely chopped
Peanuts – 1/2 cup, coarsely chopped
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Rice Flour – 1/4 cup
Salt as per taste
Sugar – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Oil for frying
1. Soak the sago in water for 45 to 60 minutes (or even longer if possible).
2. Pressure cook, peel and mash the potatoes well.
3. Lightly mash the sago and add to the mashed potatoes.
4. Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
5. Make small balls of this mixture and flatten them lightly into round discs.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
7. Deep fry the prepared vadas until golden brown on both sides and remove.
8. Drain excess oil.
9. Serve hot with chutney or sauce of choice.
Note: In some places onions are used instead of potatoes. And roasted gram flour is used instead of rice flour.