Aloo Methi is a classic Punjabi side dish made with potatoes, fenugreek leaves and combination of spices. Typically made dry, this is a staple of every North Indian home and is served with roti or naan. It is also a popular dish for office or school lunchboxes. The slightly bitter taste from the fenugreek leaves and anytime favorite potato makes this a dish that one will never say no to.
For a Jain version of Aloo Methi, you can omit the onions.
In some places, capsicum is added and it is made into another variation of this dish called Aloo Methi Bhaji
Aloo Methi Recipe
Ingredients for Aloo Methi
- 5 Potatoes medium sized
- 1/2 cup Onions finely chopped
- 3 to 4 small bunches Fenugreek leaves
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 3 tbsp Fresh Curd thick
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
How to make Aloo Methi
- Pressure cook potatoes. Peel outer skin and cut into large pieces
- Slit green chillies length wise.
- Wash and chop fenugreek leaves.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add cumin seeds, slit chillies and then chopped onions.
- When it turns golden, add fenugreek and fry for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and then curds.
- Mix well and then add, potato pieces.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes stirring in-between.
- Add tomato paste, garam masala powder and cook till dry.
- Serve hot with roti, phulka, naan or rice.
If you liked this dish, you might also like these popular side dishes using potato.