Mashed Potatoes is one of the popular comfort food that everyone loves. It is delicious, creamy and all things wonderful with plenty of local and regional variations.
A bowl of mashed potatoes takes less than 15 minutes to prepare. It is a simple dish with plenty of flavour in it. The best part is that it can be made in advance and kept in the fridge.
For many, it is a complete meal in itself. They can also be added to any meal either as part of it or by the side.
Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Ingredients for Mashed Potatoes
- 2 Potatoes large, peeled, cut into cubes
- 2 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 50 ml Hot Milk
- as per taste Salt
- as per taste Black Pepper Powder
How to make Mashed Potatoes
- Bring a pan of water to a boil over medium flame.
- Add the potatoes and cook until just tender.
- Drain the water and place the potates in a pan over low flame.
- Gently add butter and mix well until the potatoes are mashed properly.
- Add hot milk and whisk well until smooth.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper powder.
- Serve on it own or with a main course.
Variations of Mashed Potatoes
Just like so many other dishes, there are numerous flavours to this popular dish. Some of the most popular variations are:
- Roasted Garlic and Parmesan : Shallow fry some garlic cloves in olive oil and then grind them to a pulp. At the time of mixing (step #4 and step #5 above), add the parmesan cheese and garlic.
- Indian Masala : Add 1/2 tsp of dry mango powder, garam masala powder, red chilli powder and mint leaves. Mix well.