Depressed? Have some Chicken Biryani. Sad or feeling under the weather?? Have some Chicken Biryani. Happy and excited??? Order a huge bucket of Chicken Biryani.
Biryani is the classic food! Some segments would wholeheartedly agree with me. Hence, it is no surprise that the Biryani, especially the Chicken or Mutton Biryani, seems to be the most appropriate prescription for any occasion of our life. Make a whole ,pot of Biryani at home and it is guaranteed to be enjoyed as breakfast, lunch and dinner by loyalists. Why, some even go to the whole next level where it is stored overnight, reheated the next morning and eaten with the same gusto as the previous day.
No occasion, be it a grand wedding or a simple birthday bash, is complete without the quintessential Chicken Biryani. Such is the popularity of this simple, spicy and fragrant mixed rice that it is served in many food outlets in buckets instead of small service bowls, making it one of the most popularly ordered restaurant dishes.
India being the culinary genius it is, it has developed many flavourful variants of Chicken Biryani across regions. In our recipe here, we bring you a flavourful and aromatic dish, that is easy to follow and can be made by a novice cook as well. If you like this dish, check out our Biryani section for easy and flavourful recipes.
- Chicken – 750 gms, chopped to bite sized pieces
- Onions – 3, finely sliced
- Cashewnut Paste – 1 tblsp
- Tomatoes – 4 large, pureed
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups, soaked for 10 minutes
- Ghee – 1 tblsp (20g)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
- Poppy Seeds – 1 tbsp, coarsely powdered
- Saffron Strands – 10 strands, soaked in 2 tbsp milk
- Oil – 6 tbsp (60-65 ml)
- Fried Onions – 1 cup, to garnish
- Salt as per taste
For the marinade:
- Curd – 2 cups, beaten
- Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
- Mix all the marinade ingredients and rub all over the chicken pieces.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes. To get the best flavours, leave it to marinate overnight.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and onions.
- Saute well for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions turn light golden brown.
- Add the cashewnut paste, tomato puree and poppy seeds.
- Stir well and simmer for a minute or two.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and cover the pan with a lid.
- Reduce flame to low and cook till the chicken is tender. Turn off flame once it is fully cooked.
- Drain the rice and rinse well.
- Pressure cook till 3/4ths done and remove. Alternatively, cook it in a deep vessel using the boiling method and drain excess water after it’s cooked.
- Place a chapati or dosa tawa on a low flame.
- Put a large, deep pan over this to cook the biryani dum-style.
- Spread a layer of rice at the bottom of the pan followed by a layer of the chicken gravy.
- Repeat until all the rice and chicken have been used up, finishing up with a layer of rice on top.
- Sprinkle the saffron strands with the milk and ghee on top.
- Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid* and cook for 30-45 minutes. Ensure there is no escaping of steam.
- Remove when the rice is cooked and chicken pieces are tender.
- Gently fluff up the rice using a fork.
- Garnish with the fried onions.
- Serve hot with onion raita.
*If you don’t have a tight fitting lid, place a flat plate to cover the vessel and keep a heavy stone on top of the lid. Ensure no steam escapes.
Chicken Biryani Recipe Video
Here is a recipe video of Chicken Biryani that helps you make a delicious dish at home.