Pav Bhaji is a very popular Indian chaat/street food dish. Commonly available in many road side restaurants and cafes, it is made with vegetables cooked in variety of spices and served with a toasted pav (bun). Pav Bhaji is more than a snack, it is a whole meal by itself.
- Pav Buns – 5 to 6
- Onion – 1 cup, finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 1 cup, finely chopped
- Potatoes – 1 cup, boiled, peeled, mashed
- Green Peas – 1/4 cup, boiled
- Cabbage – 1/2 cup, shredded (optional)
- Pav Bhaji Masala Powder – 1/2 tblsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tblsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tblsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – 1 cup, chopped
- Lemon Juice – 2 to 3 tsp
- Capsicum – 1/4 cup, chopped (optional)
- Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
- Garlic Paste – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies – 1, finely chopped
- Water – 1/4 cup or as required
- Salt as per taste
- Oil as required
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan.
- Saute the onions until pink.
- Add garlic paste and fry for 45 to 60 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, coriander powder, red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, cumin powder and salt.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add the other vegetables and cook.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and mash the vegetables well.
- Add water and capsicum.
- After a minute, mash again till capsicum is well blended.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Slit the pav buns and spread butter on the insides.
- Place them on a hot tawa and cook till the insides are golden brown.
- Garnish with onions and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !