Pav Bhaji is a very popular Indian chaat/street food dish. Commonly available in many road side restaurants and cafes, it is made with vegetables cooked in variety of spices and served with a toasted pav (bun). Pav Bhaji is more than a snack, it is a whole meal by itself.
Ingredients for Pav Bhaji
- 5 to 6 Pav Buns
- 1 cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 cup Potatoes boiled, peeled, mashed
- 1/4 cup Green Peas boiled
- 1/2 cup Cabbage shredded (optional)
- 1/2 tblsp Pav Bhaji Masala Powder
- 1 tblsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tblsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 cup Coriander Leaves chopped
- 2 to 3 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Capsicum chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Water adjust as required
- Salt as per taste
- Oil as required
How to make Pav Bhaji
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan.
- Saute the onions until pink.
- Add garlic paste and fry for 45 to 60 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, coriander powder, red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, cumin powder and salt.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add the other vegetables and cook.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and mash the vegetables well.
- Add water and capsicum.
- After a minute, mash again till capsicum is well blended.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Slit the pav buns and spread butter on the insides.
- Place them on a hot tawa and cook till the insides are golden brown.
- Garnish with onions and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.