Pav Bhaji is a very popular Indian chaat/street food dish. Commonly available in many road side restaurants and cafes, it is made with vegetables cooked in variety of spices and served with a toasted pav (bun) and onions. This is more than a snack, it is a whole meal by itself.
The bhaji is often made in bulk and kept. Whenever required, a portion of it is heated up and served with toasted pavs or bread slices. For a Jain version, avoid onions and garlic.
Originally from the Maharastrian cuisine, it is popular all over India. Right from the five star restaurants to the push carts, this dish is available everywhere in multiple variations. The most popular being the Paneer Pav Bhaji.
For those who want to make the Pav Bhaji Masala powder at home, try this recipe.
Pav Bhaji Recipe
Ingredients for Pav Bhaji
- 5 to 6 Pav Buns
- 1 cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 cup Potatoes boiled, peeled, mashed
- 1/4 cup Green Peas boiled
- 1/2 cup Cabbage shredded (optional)
- 1/2 tblsp Pav Bhaji Masala Powder
- 1 tblsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tblsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 cup Coriander Leaves chopped
- 2 to 3 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Capsicum chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Water adjust as required
- Salt as per taste
- Oil as required
How to make Pav Bhaji
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan.
- Saute the onions until pink.
- Add garlic paste and fry for 45 to 60 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, coriander powder, red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, cumin powder and salt.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add the other vegetables and cook.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and mash the vegetables well.
- Add water and capsicum.
- After a minute, mash again till capsicum is well blended.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Slit the pav buns and spread butter on the insides.
- Place them on a hot tawa and cook till the insides are golden brown.
- Garnish with onions and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.