Step into the world of Indian street food delight with Sev Batata Puri! This iconic dish hails from the bustling streets, offering a symphony of flavours that dance on your taste buds. A fusion of crisp puris, spiced potatoes, and a medley of chutneys, Sev Batata Puri is a celebration of textures and tastes.
About the Recipe
Sev Batata Puri is a popular street food snack that encapsulates the essence of Indian chaat. The dish features small, crisp puris filled with a delightful mixture of boiled potatoes, tangy tamarind-dates chutney, and refreshing mint-coriander chutney. Topped with crunchy sev and chaat masala, each bite is a burst of flavours and textures.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Get ready to fall in love with Sev Batata Puri! The combination of spicy, tangy, and crunchy elements creates a harmonious explosion of flavours. Whether you’re a chaat enthusiast or a newcomer to Indian street food, this recipe guarantees a delightful experience for your taste buds.
Customize the spice levels by adjusting the red chilli powder and garlic chutney for an extra kick. Ensure the puris stay crisp by assembling them just before serving. The key is to strike a balance between the various chutneys for the perfect flavour symphony.
Serving and Storing Suggestions
Serve Sev Batata Puri immediately after assembling to relish the crunch of puris. This dish is best enjoyed fresh, ideal for lively gatherings, parties, or a quick, flavorful snack. Avoid storing them as the puris may lose their crispiness.
Other Similar Recipes
If you fancy Sev Batata Puri, you’ll likely enjoy exploring other Indian chaat delicacies like Pani Puri or Bhel Puri. These dishes share a common love for exciting textures and bold flavours.
While Sev Batata Puri is a treat for the taste buds, it also brings some nutritional benefits. Potatoes offer essential nutrients like potassium, and the chutneys may contain antioxidants from herbs like mint and coriander. However, it’s necessary to enjoy this dish in moderation.
Sev Batata Puri
- 4 to 6 Potatoes (boiled, peeled, chopped)
- 40 to 50 Crisp Puris (available readymade)
- 2 to 3 Onions (big, chopped)
- 1/4 cup Mint Coriander Chutney - 1/4 cup
- 2 tsp Garlic Chilli Chutney (available readymade or use 1/2 tsp garlic paste and 1 tsp green chilli paste)
- 1/2 cup Tamarind Dates Chutney
- 1 Green Mango (chopped)
- 2 cups Plain Sev
- 3 tsp Chaat Masala Powder
- Coriander Leaves (chopped, handful)
- Salt as per taste
- Red Chilli Powder as per taste
- In a large bowl, combine boiled potatoes and chopped green mango. Sprinkle salt and red chilli powder, and mix well.
- Arrange crisp puris on a plate. Make a small hole in each puri.
- Fill each puri with the potato-mango mixture. Add chopped onions on top.
- Drizzle mint coriander chutney and optional garlic chilli chutney into each puri.
- Sprinkle sev and chaat masala powder generously.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I prepare the chutneys in advance?
Absolutely! Mint coriander chutney and tamarind dates can be made and stored in the refrigerator for convenient use in Sev Batata Puri or other chaat recipes.
Can I use store-bought puris for this recipe?
Yes, store-bought crisp puris work well for Sev Batata Puri. It’s a time-saving option without compromising the delightful crunch.
Is Sev Batata Puri suitable for vegetarians?
Absolutely! Sev Batata Puri is a vegetarian delight, with the main components of potatoes, chutneys, and sev. It’s a flavorful option for those following a vegetarian diet.
Can I adjust the spice levels to my preference?
Certainly! Tailor the spice levels by modifying the quantity of red chilli powder and garlic chutney. Make it as mild or spicy as your taste buds desire.
What are some other popular chaat recipes to explore?
If you enjoy Sev Batata Puri, dive into the world of chaat with Pani Puri, Bhel Puri, or Dahi Puri. Each offers a unique flavour profile while sharing the love for exciting textures.