Dabeli, also known as Kutchi Dabeli or Indian burger, is a very popular Gujarati street food snack found across India. Similar to Vada Pav, it consists of spicy mashed potatoes placed in-between a burger bun (pav), garnished with sev and pomegranate seeds. This classic Indian street food can be made in a jiffy and does not require elaborate prepartion.
It is believed this dish originated from the region of Kutch and over time spread across the entire country. Made with mixing boiled potatoes and dabeli masala, it is garnished with pomegranate seeds or peanuts.
Ingredients for Dabeli
- 1 cup Sev
- 4 Pav Buns sliced into halves
- 2 Potatoes boiled, peeled, mashed
- Salt as per taste
- 4 tblsp Butter
- 1 tblsp Sugar
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 1 tblsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Oil as required
- 1 tblsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4 cup Peanuts roasted
- Garlic Chutney as required
- Pomegranate Seeds to garnish
How to make Dabeli
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Stir-fry the cumin seeds for 30 seconds.
- Saute the onions for a minute or two.
- Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Add the chaat masala powder, black salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add the roasted peanuts and stir well until well combined.
- Remove from flame and keep aside.
- Heat a tawa over medium flame.
- Toast the pav buns, adding butter, until golden.
- Spread garlic chutney on one side.
- Add the potato masala and cover with the other half.
- Place it on the hot tawa for 30 to 45 seconds and remove.
- Sprinkle sev on top and garnish with pomegranate seeds.
- Serve at once with sauce or ketchup.