Tomatoes – 4, medium
Eggs – 3
Oil – 1 tblsp
Refined Flour – 1 tblsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Salt – 1 tsp
Black Pepper – 1 tsp, freshly ground
Cheddar Cheese – 1 cup, grated
1. Blanch the tomatoes for the souffle and peel them.
2. Chop them very fine.
3. Separate the eggs and whisk the yolks until well blended.
4. Heat the oil in a pan over low heat and blend in the flour.
5. Cook, stirring continuously until it starts to sizzle.
6. Add the milk and stir vigorously to ensure no lumps are formed.
7. Cook over low heat until the sauce thickens.
8. Mix in the salt, pepper, cheese and the tomatoes.
9. Cook for a minute.
10. Add the egg yolks and stir for another minute until well blended and heated through.
11. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
12. Set the oven temperature to 160C.
13. Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form.
14. Gently fold the egg whites into the cooled tomato mixture.
15. Transfer to a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes unil the souffle is set and top is brown.
16. Remove from the heat and serve at once.