750 gms Chicken, cut into 8 pieces
350 gms Basmati rice, washed and soaked for 20 minutes
120 gms Ghee
1 tsp Whole garam masala
1/2 tsp Shahjeera
150 gms Onions, sliced
150 ml Curd
70 gms Ginger-Garlic paste
2 tsp Chilli powder
40 ml Lemon juice
50 ml Cream
25 gms Browned onion
25 gms Mint leaves
25 gms Coriander leaves, chopped finely
a few strands Saffron, dissolved in little warm milk
Salt to taste
1. Heat ghee in a pan. Add half of the whole garam masala and shahjeera.
2. Saute for a minute, add onions and stir, fry till golden brown.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste, salt and chilli powder. Fry, then add chicken.
4. Put the curd and saute for two minutes.
5. Add about 500ml of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook till chicken is almost done. Squeeze the lemon juice on top.
6. Boil 1 litre of water in a pan. Add the remaining whole garam masala, salt and rice.
7. Cook till the rice is half done, drain out the excess water.
8. Place the handi with chicken on low heat.
9. Sprinkle half of cream, browned onion, mint leaves, coriander leaves and saffron. Then spread half rice over the chicken.
10. Repeat the layers. Place a moist cloth or butter paper on top and seal the lid with dough.
11. Put the sealed pan on dum in a pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !