Vadams and Vathals are a popular anytime snack across South India. They are often served as an accompaniment to main dishes and also as an evening snack to kids.
- Rice Flour – 1 cup
- Beetroot Paste – 1 cup
- Javvarisi Paste – 1/2 cup
- Salt to Taste
- Green Chilly Paste – 4 tsp
- Water – 4 cups
- To make beetroot paste, peel and boil 1/4 kg (or as required) beetroots. Once they are cooked, grind to a smooth paste.
- Similarly, to make Javvarisi paste, boil 2 cups of javvarisi in hot water. Once it reaches a paste like consistency, drain excess water and reserve the paste.
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel and add water to it.
- Heat the water and add green chilly paste, javvarisi paste, beetroot paste, rice flour and salt.
- Cook on low flame stirring continuously till it thickens.
- Taste for the salt and if you require more add it and mix it well.
- Koozh Vadam batter is ready.
- It should be in porridge consistency.
- Place a clean white cloth in sunny place.
- Using a small ladle pour the batter in small circles.
- When the vadam gets completely dried up, take out each vadam.
- Store it in an air tight container.