Karuveppilai Kuzhambu (Curry Leaves Sambar) is a South Indian sambar variety. Curry leaves has got a lot of health and medicinal properties. A delicious and healthy kuzhambu that can be served with rice or as a side dish to pongal.
- Curry Leaves – 1/2 cup
- Shallots – 20
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tblsp
- Red Chillies – 4
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Ginger – small piece
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Onion Vadagam – 1 piece
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Gingelly Oil – 1 tblsp
- Tamarind Water – 1 cup
- Salt to Taste
- Peel the outer skin of shallots and dice them.
- To a pan, heat oil in medium flame.
- Saute the Urad dal, pepper, jeera, ginger, garlic, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Allow them to cool and grind it to fine paste.
- To the same pan, heat oil in medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and onion vadagam and fry well.
- Add the chopped shallots and fry till golden brown.
- Add the tamarind water and the ground paste and mix.
- Add required water and salt to taste.
- Simmer the flame and cook until the kuzhambu thickens and the oil starts to oozes out.
- This can be served with pongal and rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !