A very healthy and tasty South Indian sambar variety. It is also a great home remedy for colds and is also given to new mothers.
Curry Leaves (Karuveppilai) – 1 handful
Black Peppercorns (Milagu) – 10 to 12
Urad Dal – 3 tsp
Toor Dal – 3 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilli – 1
Tamarind – a small lemon sized ball (seedless)
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the peppercorns, red chilli, toor dal, urad dal and cumin seeds for a minute.
3. To the same pan, add 1/2 tsp oil and fry the curry leaves.
4. Combine all the roasted ingredients with tamarind and salt.
5. Add enough water and grind to a smooth paste.
6. Heat the remaining oil in a pan.
7. Fry the mustard seeds and add the ground paste.
8. Add some water if it is too thick.
9. Simmer for a minute.
10. Remove and serve with hot rice.