Tomato Rava Kichadi (or Tomato Semolina/Sooji Khichdi) is a popular & filling South Indian breakfast/evening tiffen dish. Serve this Tomato Rava Khichadi as it is or with coconut chutney.
Tomato – 1 large or 2 medium
White Rava (Sooji) – 100 gms
Green Chilli – 1
Green Peas – 1 tblsp, soaked for 15 to 20 minutes
Turmeric Powder – a small pinch
Carrot – 2 tsp, grated
Onion – 1, chopped
Coriander Leaves – few, chopped
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
Mustard Seeds – few
Curry Leaves – few
Asafoetida – little
1. Dry roast the rava until golden and keep aside.
2. Heat little oil in a pan over medium flame.
3. Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida for 30 seconds.
4. Add the onions, green chillies, carrot and green peas.
5. Saute for a minute and pour 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water.
6. Add salt and turmeric powder.
7. Mix well and bring to a boil.
8. Add the reserved rava and stir well.
9. Grind the tomato to a pulp, without adding water, and add to the pan.
10. Mix well and simmer until water has almost evaporated and kichadi is cooked.
11. Garnish with coriander leaves.
12. Serve hot.