Coconut Chutney is one of the most common and most popular chutney varieties in South India. A classic side dish to idli, dosa and pongal, coconut chutney or thengai chutney is an absolute crowd pleaser.
It is a must have in every South Indian kitchen, often as the go-to side dish when it comes to breakfast or dinner.
As with most Indian recipes, this too has its share of regional variations depending on the state and sometimes even with families.
Coconut Chutney Recipe
Ingredients for Coconut Chutney
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coconut grated
- 2 tbsp Roasted Bengal Gram
- 2 Green Chillies finely chopped
- a small piece Ginger peeled and grated
- small handful Coriander Leaves chopped
- a small piece Tamarind without any seeds
- as per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 1 Dry Red Chilli small, halved
- few Curry Leaves
How to make Coconut Chutney
- Combine all the ingredients given for making the coconut chutney in a mixer.
- Grind to a smooth consistency adding 1/4 cup of water (or as required) gradually.
- Heat oil for tempering in a pan.
- Add the tempering ingredients and fry till the mustard seeds splutter.
- Pour this over the coconut chutney.
- Mix well.
- Serve with idli or dosa.