Christmas is never complete without a classic Christmas cake. Try this simple recipe to make a delicious Christmas cake at home.
Raisins – 150 gms
Sultanas – 150 gms
Dried Apricots – 50 gms, chopped
Dried Figs – 50 gms, chopped
Sweet Wine – 75 ml + little extra
Zest of 1 Orange – finely grated
Butter – 60 gms, unsalted
Light Brown Sugar – 100 gms
Egg – 1, large, beaten
Plain Flour – 100 gms
Honey – 37.5 gms, mixed with a little water
Mixed Spices – 1 tsp
Clove Powder – a pinch
Walnuts – 100 gms, coarsely chopped
1. Add the dried fruits to a large bowl.
2. Pour the wine and add the orange zest.
3. Cover and keep aside for 8 hours or overnight.
4. Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
5. Add the beaten eggs and honey.
5. Mix until combined.
6. Add the flour, clove powder and mixed spices.
7. Add the soaked fruits and nuts.
8. Mix well.
9. Transfer to a greased cake tin lined with parchment paper.
10. Place the tin into a preheated oven at 150C and bake for 2 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
11. Remove and cool.
12. Cut into slices and serve.
13. Stays good for a few days if stored in an airtight container.