Maida – 2 cups
Milk – 2 litres
Sugar – 6 cups
Ghee – 1 1/2 cups
Cardamom Powder – little
Cashew Nuts – few
1. Boil the milk and simmer until it is reduced by half and has a khoya consistency.
2. Heat ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan.
3. Add the maida and gently roast until light golden.
4. Remove from flame and cool.
5. Add the khoya and mix well without any lumps.
6. Add sugar to a large pan and pour enough water.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. When it reaches a two string consistency (two threads are formed when tested between fingers) add the maida mixture, cardamom powder and mix well.
9. Keep stirring for 2 minutes and switch off the flame.
10. Remove from flame and stir continuously for a few minutes.
11. Transfer this to a plate greased with ghee.
12. Spread evenly and allow it to cool.
13. Before it cools completely, cut into desired shapes and garnish with cashew nuts.
14. Store in an airtight container.
Tip: Add any food colour or any essence (apple/vanilla) if desired.