For the Ragda:
Dried White Peas – 500 gms
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Salt – 2 tsp
For the Patties (or Pattice)
Potatoes – 5 to 6, boiled, peeled, mashed
Onions – 3, chopped
Corn Flour – 1/4 cup
Green Chillies – 5 to 6, chopped
Coriander Mint Chutney – 1/4 cup (recipe here)
Tamarind Dates Chutney – 1/4 cup (recipe here)
Chaat Masala Powder – 1 tblsp
Coriander Leaves – few, chopped
Salt – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tblsp
1. Soak the dried white peas in water for 5 minutes and drain well.
2. Wash and rinse 2 to 3 times. Drain well.
3. Then soak them in water until fully immersed for 8 hours or overnight.
4. Drain well and keep aside.
5. Heat 1.5 litres of water in a large pan over medium flame.
6. Add the asafoetida powder, turmeric powder and salt.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Add the drained peas and boil again.
9. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 45 minutes or until the peas are soft.
10. Mix the potatoes, corn flour, green chillies and salt in a bowl.
11. Make small/medium balls of the mixture and flatten them.
12. Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium flame.
13. Add the patties and cook until both sides are golden brown.
14. Remove and drain excess oil. Keep them warm.
15. To serve, place 2 patties on a plate.
16. Add some ragda on top.
17. Drizzle the coriander mint and tamarind dates chutney on top.
18. Sprinkle some onions, chaat masala and garnish with coriander leaves.
19. Serve at once.