The Singapore Chilli Crab is a dish that has been around for centuries. It’s a dish that consists of large crabs, a spicy sauce, and some other ingredients.
The Singapore Chilli Crab is one of the most famous dishes in Singapore. This dish was first introduced to the world by Chinese migrants in the early 1900s who settled in Singapore and Malaysia after being forced out of China by warlords. They created this dish using local ingredients such as black pepper, shrimp paste, and chillies.
In recent years, the restaurant scene has grown tremendously with many new chefs opening up restaurants dedicated to their own unique take on this iconic dish.
Singapore Chilli Crab Recipe
Ingredients for Singapore Chilli Crab
- 1 to 1.25 kg Crabs
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Egg small, lightly beaten
- 3/4 tbsp Cornflour mixed with 2 tblsp water
- as per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1 Spring Onions chopped
- for frying Oil
For the Sauce:
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Onion - 1 finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 inch Ginger sliced
- 2 tsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 Red Chillies sliced
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 2 tbsp Chilli Sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper Powder
How to make Singapore Chilli Crab
- Clean and quarter the crabs.
- Pat dry.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Deep fry the crabs for 3 minutes or until the shells turn bright red.
- Remove and keep aside to drain.
- In a separate frying pan, add 2 tblsp of oil.
- Saute the garlic, ginger, onion, soy sauce and red chillies for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli sauce, ketchup, sesame oil and sugar.
- Stir to mix well and simmer for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle pepper powder and stir again.
- Add the crabs to the pan and mix until evenly coated with the sauce.
- Add the chicken stock and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and cornflour mixture.
- Cook until the sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper powder.
- Garnish with spring onions.
- Serve with hot rice.