Bhelpuri is an Indian street food which is made of puffed rice, boiled potatoes, chopped onions, chutneys and a variety of spices.
The traditional bhelpuri is made of puffed rice, boiled potatoes with some salt and spices mixed in water. It is topped with chopped onions and the sweet-sour tamarind-date chutneys are added to the mix.
It is widely eaten as a snack time food either as a street food or as an evening snack at home with family members or friends.
Some people believe that Bhelpuri is popular amongst Indians because it can be served as a light snack or heavy meal depending on what they have available at home. Others say that it is popular because it can be eaten anytime during the day and also while travelling.
The difference between varieties of bhelpuri vary from region to region in India and also depend on the availability of ingredients in different parts of the country.
- 4 cup Puffed Rice
- 1 cup Plain Sev
- 20 Papdi crushed
- 1/2 to 1 cup Onions finely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup Potatoes boiled, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Sweet Tamarind Chutney
- 1/4 cup Green Chutney for Chaat
- 1 tbsp Black Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- as per taste Red Chilli Powder
- as per taste Salt
- few Coriander Leaves
- 2 tbsp Sev
- 2 tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp Green Chillies finely chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp Onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 tbsp Mango - 1 tblsp finely chopped
- Combine the puffed rice, sev, red chilli powder, papdi, onions, potatoes, green chutney, tamarind chutney, black salt, coriander leaves and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Garnish with the mango pieces, coriander leaves, sev, peanuts, tomatoes, green chillies and onions.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on top.
- Serve at once.