Pani Puri is a popular Indian street food dish. It is also known as golgappa or puchka, depending on the region of India. It consists of a round hollow puri which is filled with a spicy potato mixture and then dipped in a tamarind water or chutney.
It is a popular Indian snack that is often served at street stalls, but it can also be found at restaurants and fast food establishments.
Traditionally the filling is spicy potato curry but it can also be sweet or savory.
This dish has become very popular because it’s cheap to buy and easy to make at home. You don’t even need any cooking skills to make it!
This recipe is a great starter because it’s easy to prepare and you can customize it according to your taste.
Pani Puri Recipe
Ingredients for Pani Puri
For the puri:
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 50 g Semolina
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 to 1/4 cup Water
- for frying Oil
For the pani:
- 25 g Mint Leaves
- 1 tsp Coriander Leaves
- 1/2 Small Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp Tamarind Paste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 250 ml Water
For the filling:
- 1 Potato boiled and peeled
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- a pinch Red Chilli Powder
How to make Pani Puri
- To make the puri, mix the flour, semolina and salt.
- Gradually add water and mix to form a soft dough.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, make small balls of the dough and roll them into a very thin circles/pooris.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry the prepared puris for a minute on each side, until golden brown.
- Drain excess oil and transfer to a plate.
- To make the pani, combine all the ingredients and mix well. You can also put them into a mixer and blend them to mix well.
- To make the potato filling, mash the boiled potatoes with salt and chilli powder.
- To serve, take one puri, make a little hole in the top and fill with a small amount of the potato mixture.
- Pour in some of the pani and serve immediately.