Pav Bhaji is a very popular Indian chaat/street food dish. Commonly available in many road side restaurants and cafes, it is made with vegetables cooked in variety of spices and served with a toasted pav (bun).
Pav Buns – 5 to 6
Onion – 1 cup, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 1 cup, finely chopped
Potatoes – 1 cup, boiled, peeled, mashed
Green Peas – 1/4 cup, boiled
Cabbage – 1/2 cup, shredded
Pav Bhaji Masala Powder – 1/2 tblsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tblsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tblsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1 cup, chopped
Lemon Juice – 2 to 3 tsp
Capsicum – 1/4 cup, chopped (optional)
Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
Garlic Paste – 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – 1, finely chopped
Water – 1/4 cup or as required
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan.
2. Saute the onions until pink.
3. Add garlic paste and fry for 45 to 60 seconds.
4. Add tomatoes, coriander powder, red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, cumin powder and salt.
5. Cook for a minute.
6. Add the other vegetables and cook.
7. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Remove the lid and mash the vegetables well.
9. Add water and capsicum.
10. After a minute, mash again till capsicum is well blended.
10. Add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
11. Slit the pav buns and spread butter on the insides.
12. Place them on a hot tawa and cook till the insides are golden brown.
13. Garnish with onions and coriander leaves.
14. Serve hot.