Mango Payasam (or Mango Kheer) is a delicious South Indian dessert made with sweet, ripened mangoes, condensed milk and rice rava. Also known as Mambazha Payasam, it is often made during festive times or special occasions.
Mango Pulp – 1/2 cup, sweetened
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Milk – 500 ml
Rice Rava (Coarsely ground raw rice) – 3 tsp
Kesari Powder – a pinch
Ghee – 1 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts – 1 tsp
Raisins – 1 tsp
Condensed Milk – 3 tsp
Cardamom Powder – a pinch
Mango Essence – few drops (optional)
1. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in little ghee. Remove and keep aside.
2. To the same pan, add the remaining ghee and fry the rava until golden.
3. Pour milk and bring to a gentle boil.
4. When the rava is cooked and is translucent and milk has reduced in quantity, add sugar and condensed milk.
5. Stir well.
6. Add kesari powder, cardamom powder and mix.
7. Add mango pulp and gently mix.
8. Simmer for a few minutes.
9. Remove from flame.
10. Garnish with fried cashewnuts and raisins.
11. Add mango essence if using and mix.