Yay! The Mango season is finally here. Time to snack on some delicious home made Mango Bars.
When I was little, we would always travel to our Grandma’s place during summers. One of the major stations enroute used to be Vijayawada. As children, my cousins and I used to await this station with great eagerness – for the tasty Mango bars or Aam Papad (as it is known in the north)! The minimum buy would be some 5-6 packets, each packet containing some 10 slices of thin, semi dry, sweet mango puree. What heaven!
As we grew up, things commercialized, train travel reduced and there were many more interesting snacks to choose from. However, the Mango bar or Aam papad is still fresh in my memory. Imagine my happiness when I came to know this can easily be made at home! So, with extreme delight I share with you this tangy, sweet and highly memorable mango treat – Mango Bar or Aam Papad.
Mango is very versatile and we have some amazing delights lined up for you. Let it please you as Mango Peda, or chill out during the evenings with some cool Mango Mojito.
Mango Bars or Aam Papad
- 5 Cups Mango Puree preferably Alphonso for higher sweetness
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- Heat a pan under medium flame. Add the puree, sugar and cardamom.
- Keep stirring and allow it to boil and thicken. It will change colour.
- Grease a large plate with Ghee and keep it ready.
- When the pulp thickens remove from flame. Pour this into the greased plate and allow it to cool.
- When completely dried, cut into strips or blocks and store in airtight containers.