Mac and Cheese (Macaroni Cheese) is a very popular and classic American dish. It is a comfort food of sorts – can be had for breakfast, lunch or as an evening snack dish. A rich and creamy dish made with just very few ingredients, it is a one pot dish that can be made in a jiffy. It is also a crowd pleaser especially kids will love this.
Macaroni Cheese (Mac and Cheese) Recipe
Ingredients for Macaroni Cheese (Mac and Cheese)
- 100 to 200 g Macaroni boiled in salted water
- 3 tblsp Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Butter - 1/4 cup
- Grated Cheese as required
For Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tblsp Butter
- 1 Onion chopped (optional)
- 1 tblsp Plain Flour (Maida)
- 500 ml Milk
- 1 cup Water adjust as required
How to make Macaroni Cheese (Mac and Cheese)
- To make the cheese sauce, heat 2 tblsp butter in a pan.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tblsp flour, water and milk.
- Keep stirring till the mixture thickens.
- To make the macaroni cheese, arrange the cooked macaroni in a baking dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over it.
- Cover with grated cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven till the top is slightly brown.