Chicken Drumsticks – 12
Basmati Rice – 700 gms, soaked for 30 minutes
Saffron – 1 tsp
Milk – 1/2 cup, lukewarm
Yogurt – 250 gms, beaten
Lemon Juice – 3 tblsp
Coriander Leaves – 3 tblsp
Mint Leaves – 3 tblsp
Ghee – 3 tblsp
Black Cumin Seeds – 1 tblsp
Cardamoms – 8
Cloves – 6
Cinnamon – 2 inch piece
Bay Leaves – 3
Onions – 3, medium, sliced
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tblsp
Salt – 1 tblsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Nutmeg Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Put the saffron in a bowl.
2. Add the milk and let it soak for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in half the yogurt, lemon juice, coriander leaves and mint leaves. Keep aside.
4. Heat the ghee in a pan.
5. Temper with half the black cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves.
6. Add the onions and saute till they turn golden.
7. Stir in the ginger-garlic paste, salt, red chilli powder and nutmeg powder.
8. Add the chicken. Saute for about 5 minutes, sprinkling water from time to time, until the chicken is well browned.
9. Stir in the remaining yogurt, cover and cook for 10 minutes or till the chicken is tender. Keep aside.
10. Fill a large pan with water and bring to a boil.
11. Add the remaining cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, rice and salt.
12. Boil until the rice is three-quarters cooked.
13. Drain thoroughly.
14. Arrange half the chicken in a baking dish.
15. Spread one third of the saffron-yogurt mixture on top.
16. Cover with half the rice. Repeat the layers.
17. Seal with aluminium foil or cover lightly with the lid.
18. Place in a preheated moderate oven at 180C/350F for 15 to 20 minutes or cook on the stove-top on very low heat until the rice is fully done.