Raw Prawns – 450 gms, large
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 inch, grated
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Hot Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Ground Turmeric – 1 tsp
Black Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Green Cardamom Seeds – 4, crushed
Ghee or Butter – 1/4 cup
Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Ground Black Pepper – as required
Coriander Leaves – 2-3 tblsp, chopped for garnish
Naan Bread – to serve
1. Peel the prawns carefully, leaving the tails attached.
2. Using a small, sharp knife, make a slit along the back of each prawn and remove the dark vein. Rinse under cold running water, drain and pat dry.
3. Put the ginger, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric, mustard seeds and cardamom seeds in a bowl. Add the prawns and toss to coat completely in the spice mixture.
4. Heat a kadai until hot. Add the ghee or butter and swirl it around until foaming.
5. Add the spiced prawns and stir fry for 1 to 11/2 minutes until they are just turning pink.
6. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until the prawns are just cooked through. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
7. Sprinkle wih the chopped fresh coriander and serve immediately with naan bread.
Quick-fried Prawns with Spices