The sizzling Guntur Chicken recipe is a popular dish cooked in the Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh. Usually, the dishes of Andhra Pradesh have a royal touch to them thanks to the Nizams and Mughals who ruled the region for centuries. However, this is a typical desi chicken dish which might have originated from the kitchens of local farmers who grew rice in their fields and had to pair it up with something delicious and spicy.
The chicken stew is prepared by adding freshly ground spices along with the tender chicken pieces. It gets a spicy hot flavor from the red chilies that are specially grown in the region.
Guntur chicken can be cooked either in curry style or the excess stew can be dried up to prepare dry masala chicken. Ingredients like coriander powder, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, cumin, and peppercorn are used for preparing the garam masala while whole spices such as bay leaves, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon sticks are used to add spicy flavor to the dish.
The residents of Guntur and surrounding regions are habitual of eating hot cuisines that can release spicy fumes from your ears especially if you are a North Indian. Therefore, you can cut down the number of red chilies in the recipe or add a little bit of jaggery to give it a slightly sweet flavor.
Ginger garlic paste, turmeric, and red chili powder are used to marinate the chicken pieces at least a couple of hours in the refrigerator before cooking. You can also add fresh lemon juice to the marinate mixture if you like a tinge of sour lemony taste to your chicken.
Serve it on a banana leaf to devour this traditional cuisine in typical Andhra style!
Guntur Chicken Recipe
Ingredients for Guntur Chicken
- 500 g Chicken cleaned, washed, drained, chopped
- 5 nos Dry Red Chillies
- 100 g Onions chopped
- 150 g Tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Curd
- 3 tsp Coconut grated
- 3 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 3 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 4 tsp Oil
- 1 no Cardamom
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Clove Powder
- few Fenugreek Seeds
- few Coconut pieces
- few Coriander Leaves
- Garam Masala Powder as per taste
How to make Guntur Chicken
- Dry roast the dry red chillies, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, clove powder, cinnamon, cardamom, grated coconut separately till golden.
- Combine and grind them together with a little water to a fine paste.
- Heat little oil in a large pan.
- Saute the onions for a minute or two.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and garam masala powder.
- Stir well.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, ground masala paste, curd and a little water.
- Simmer for a few minutes and add the chicken.
- Stir once or twice until chicken pieces are well coated with the masala.
- Cover the pan with a lid and reduce flame to low.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Keep stirring from time to time.
- When the gravy turns thick and oil starts to float to the top, remove the pan from the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and chopped coconut pieces.
- Serve with rice.