Punjabi Dal Fry is an iconic dish of the North Indian state of Punjab. This popular dal recipe is a combination of lentils cooked with spices, tomatoes, and onions. It is usually served with hot phulkas or steamed rice. The tempering of cumin seeds and garlic gives it a fantastic flavor that will make you crave more! The best part about this dish is that it can be prepared in just a few minutes and requires minimal ingredients. Why not give Punjabi Dal Fry a try today?
Punjabi Dal Fry
- 1 cup Moong Dal
- 2 Onions chopped
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- a large pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- few Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp Oil
- as per taste Salt
- Heat oil in a pressure pan (or cooker).
- Add the cumin seeds and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and stir well.
- Add the onions, tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder, salt, cumin powder and turmeric powder.
- Add the moong dal and add enough water.
- Cover and pressure cook until 4 to 6 whistles or until dal is cooked.
- Remove from flame.
- Add lemon juice and stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.