A delicious and popular North Indian Chaat.
Maida – 200 gms
Corn Flour – 1 tblsp
Ghee – 2 tblsp
Rawa – 1 tsp
For the filling:
Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Salt as per taste
Cumin Seeds – 1 tblsp, coarsely ground
Coriander Seeds – 1 tblsp, coarsely ground
Asafoetida Powder – little
Red Chilli Powder – little
Green Chilli Ginger Paste – 2 tsp
Gram Flour – 2 tblsp
Curd – 1/2 cup, whisked
Salt as per taste
Green Chutney as required
Sweet Tamarind Chutney as required
Chaat Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – few, chopped
Green Chillies – little, finely chopped
Onions – 2 to 3 tblsp or as required, finely chopped
Sev/Boondi as required
1. Mix the maida, corn flour, ghee and rawa in a bowl to a thick, pliable dough.
2. Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside.
3. Soak the moong dal for 1 or 2 hours and drain well.
4. Heat little oil in a pan.
5. Saute the moong dal for a minute and transfer to a mixer jar.
6. Add all the other ingredients for filling and grind to a coarse mixture.
7. Make small balls of the dough and roll them into small puris.
8. Add 1 tblsp of the filling and fold well.
9. Roll again.
10. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
11. Fry the prepared puris till crisp and golden.
12. Remove, drain excess oil and transfer to a plate.
13. Make a small hole in the center.
14. Garnish with curd, salt, green chutney, tamarind chutney, chaat masala powder, coriander leaves, green chillies, onions and sev on top.
15. Serve at once.
If you can want to use use readymade kachoris available in most major supermarkets, then skip steps 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 from above and follow the additional steps below:
1. Make a hole in the center of the readymade kachoris.
2. Fill the kachoris with the prepared filling.
Follow step 14 and 15.