Peas Kachori (or Matar Kachori) is a delicious and popular Gujarati snack. Made with a filling of green peas and spices, it typically served with chutney or sauce.
Ideal for any parties or family get-together, they also make a great evening / teatime snack.
The snack is also a popular street food across North India and is often served with coriander or mint chutney.
Peas Kachori (Matar Kachori) Recipe
Ingredients for Peas Kachori (Matar Kachori)
- 250 g Green Peas shelled
- 1 inch Ginger peeled
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2/3 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 2/3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- as per taste Salt
- as required Vegetable or Sunflower Oil
For the pastry:
- 1 cup Maida plus extra 1 tblsp
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tbsp Vegetable or Sunflower Oil
- 2 tsp Hot Water
How to make Peas Kachori (Matar Kachori)
- Grind the ginger and green chillies to a fine paste.
- Grind the peas coarsely and keep aside.
- Heat 1 to 2 tblsp of oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the mustard seeds until it starts to crackle.
- Add the ground ginger and green chilli paste.
- Stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the peas and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garam masala powder, cinnamon powder, turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder.
- Mix well and cook until all moisture has evaporated or for a minute or two.
- Remove and keep this aside.
- To make the pasty, mix all the ingredients and mix until the dough is firm.
- Using greased hands, pinch small balls of the dough and roll them into small circles, roughly 4 inches in diameter.
- Add some of the green peas filling and fold the edges.
- Seal it using little water.
- If desired, you can roll the kachori into a ball and remove any excess dough.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Gently slide in the prepared kachoris, one or two per batch, and deep fry until golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Serve with mint chutney or ketchup.