Dahi Bhalle is a type of Indian snack made from a dough and yogurt. The dough is shaped into balls, deep-fried and then soaked in water for some time. This gives it a soft and spongy texture.
In India, Dahi Bhalle is served with sweet chutneys or dry chutneys like tamarind, date, or mango chutney. It can also be served with pickles like mango pickle or garlic pickle.
The ingredients are usually made fresh at home but it can also be bought pre-packaged in some places.
The name “Dahi Bhalle” is derived from the Hindi word “bhalla”, which means “to swell”. The name dahi bhalle also suggests that it’s a dish that is served with yogurt, which is called dahi in India. This dish is similar to South Indian Thayir Vada.
- 1/2 cup Split Urad Dal soaked for 1 hour
- a small pinch Asafoetida Powder
- 1 to 2 tsp Ginger peeled, finely chopped
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 1/2 tsp Cashew nuts chopped
- 1/2 tsp Raisins
- 1/2 tsp Coconut grated
- 1 cup Plain Yogurt thick
- 1/4 cup Milk
- a small pinch Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt
- 3 tsp Sweet Tamarind Chutney available readymade or use this recipe
- 3 tsp Green Chutney optional. recipe
- few Pomegranate Seeds
- few Coriander Leaves chopped
- as required Oil
- as per taste Salt
- Drain the dal and transfer to a grinder.
- Add asafoetida powder, ginger, green chillies and salt.
- Grind to a smooth batter and keep aside. Add little water if desired during grinding.
- Mix cashew nuts, raisins, coconut and a pinch salt in a bowl.
- Add this to the batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Add spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil.
- Fry until the vadas become crisp and golden.
- Remove, drain excess oil and drop them in a bowl of water for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the yogurt, milk and sugar in a bowl.
- Squeeze excess water from the vadas and transfer them to a bowl.
- Pour the yogurt mixture over the vadas.
- Sprinkle cumin powder, black salt, sweet tamarind chutney and green chutney on top.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and coriander leaves.
- Serve at once or serve chilled.